This structure was constructed in 1877 with two storefronts on the first floor and an opera house on the second story (entered from a stairway on the right side of the building). W. L. Burlingame and Dr. J. B Chaffee were the original owners. The opera house opened in February 1878. In the 1890s when another opera house opened two blocks to the east, the second floor was used by Jasper County officials prior to the Jasper County Courthouse being built in 1894-95.
In the early twentieth century, the second floor was used for storage while the first floor and basement commercial spaces were used by long-term occupants such as Turner Carriage, Harness & Furniture Company, Woolworth’s, Burr’s Department Store, and Belk’s Department Store.
The building was damaged by a disastrous fire that destroyed the structure next door in 2013.